Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs

I was really unsure about this recipe. I really only eat plain foods.. and I absolutely hate pineapple, but dear lord it was yummy! I did change a lot of things about the recipe. One major change I made was marinating the chicken and the pineapple separately. Putting raw chicken and fruit together for 3+ hours just didn't seem the least bit safe to me.

HAWAIIAN CHICKEN KABOBS

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces ( I only used 2 huge breasts and 1 little breast)
  • 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
  • skewers
  • Cornstarch

-If you are using wooden skewers, SOAK them half an hour before putting the chicken on. This will prevent the chicken from sticking!
-Cube chicken
-Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, ground ginger, & garlic powder. Drain the pineapple juice into marinade and also throw in a couple chunks of pineapple. Although Kevin was adament on having fresh pineapple for this, CANNED is the way to go. Fresh pineapple is entirely too tarty for this recipe. I wanted the chicken to have the sweet taste from the pineapple, so that was why i put the juice and a couple pieces of pineapple in with the chicken.
-Place the cubed chicken in the marinade.
-Since I didn't want my chicken and pineapple together, I mixed up ANOTHER batch of the marinade and put the pineapple in it.
-Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
-Don't forget to soak those skewers!
-These can be done on the grill (Actually the recipe calls for it that way), BUT it was only 55 out and we weren't about to stand out in the cold to grill.. sooo my change..:
-Preheat oven to 350 (or roughly 190 for you European folks!)
-Line a baking sheet with foil. This is just my lazy trick for an easy clean up! :)
-Alternate the chicken and pineapple on the skewers. DO NOT use the couple of pineapple pieces that were in with the chicken!!!
-DON'T THROW THE MARINADE OUT!
-Bake for about 20 minutes (or until juices run clear)
-In the mean time, take all your marinade (minus the couple of pineapple chunks that were in with the chicken) and mix it with about 2 tbls of cornstarch. You may need to add a little bit more
-Bring to a boil, and let simmer. This will make a nice thick paste
-When chicken is pretty much done, pull it out and baste the marinade paste on the chicken.
-Put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. I served these with rice and the 2 complemented each other perfectly. I started the rice, pulled the chicken out and marinaded it, and put the chicken back in until the rice was done.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment