Sunday, June 26, 2011

Down Home Cooking... Country Fried Steak and Potatoes

When I came across a recipe for homemade country fried steak, I was pretty pumped. I never had it, but Kevin absolutely loves it. We had bought the Tyson freezer stuff before and he was disappointed and didn't like it all. Pioneer Woman has done it again.. giving me a recipe that made my husband fall in love with me all over again! Ha! Both of these recipes came from Pioneer Woman, but I did not make the recipe for gravy because Kevin doesn't like the thick, white gravy that country fried steak is usually topped with. I made brown gravy instead and it was just perfect for this meal. If you want the recipe for the country fried gravy, head over to Pioneer Woman.

As I was making this, even after it was done, I was VERY iffy about eating it. It just didn't appeal to me or look like something I would like. I gave it a shot and let me say o.m.g. We both absolutely loved it! Don't let the looks turn you away from this absolutely delish meal. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of this meal either because my husband was digging in before I was even done cooking.

COUNTRY FRIED STEAK

Ingredients:
3lbs cube steak (I used only 1lb.. it was 4 steaks.. PLENTY for Kevin and I.. he even had enough for leftovers for lunch)
2 large eggs
1c milk
2c all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of Lawry's Seasoned Salt
3/4 teas paprika
1/4 teas cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teas black pepper
1/2 c of canola oil for frying

-Begin with an assembly line of dishes.
-Start with the steak on one plate.
-Eggs and 1c of milk in the next. Beat together with a fork
-Next combine the flour with the seasoned salt, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper.
-Finish off your assembly line with an empty plate for coated meat.
-Lightly season all of the meat with salt and pepper.
-Dip meat in egg-milk mixture; completely coat
-Next place the meat in the flour mix; completely coat
-Return the meat to the egg-milk mixture one more time.
-Coat in the flour mixture again.
-Place on plate and repeat with remaining meat.
-Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is heated, place chicken in oil. Cook one one side until the edges start to look golden brown. To test to see if your oil is ready, sprinkle in some flour. If it sizzles and dissipates quickly, it's ready.
-Turn over and cook until the other side is golden brown.
-Remove to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm.


HOMEMADE MASHED POTATOES

Ingredients:
(This is the original recipe, but I cut everything in half since it's just us 3)
5lbs potatoes
12 tablespoons of butter (softened)
8 ounce package of cream cheese (I used fat free)
1/2 to 1/4 cup of half and half
1/2 teas seasoned salt (I used Lawrys)
Salt and Pepper to taste

-Bring a large of water to a slow boil over medium-high heat.
-Peel potatoes and rinse in cold water.
-Chop potatoes in halves or fourths.
-Add potatoes to the pot
-Increase to high heat and bring to a full boil; cook for 20-30 minutes
-The potatoes are ready when they pass the fork check; a fork should easily slide into potatoes with no resistance
-Drain the potatoes in a large colander.
-Return to the pot and turn the heat on low.
-With a potato masher, mash the potatoes over low heat to allow much of the steam to escape. Continue mashing until all lumps are gone; Turn off heat
-You don't want to use a mixer or whisk (which is what I have always been guilty of!) This will break down the starches in the potatoes and cause them to be gluey. (which always happens to my potatoes!)
-Add butter, cream cheese, half and half, and the seasonings. Stir together until well combined.


No comments:

Post a Comment