Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chinese Lemon Chicken and Rice

Since Kevin and I got married, I've been trying to find a recipe for lemon chicken. I've tried breading chicken and putting lemon pepper in the breading.. using lemon juice and dipping chicken in it before breading. The results? Crap. It was either bland tasting or extremely lemon peppery. I came across a recipe for lemon chicken @ Your Homebased Mom. I was pretty skeptical about it. It wasn't the kind of lemon chicken that I had been trying to produce. From what I understand it's a Chinese dish that the Chinese have on New Years. I modified the original recipe because 1: I don't squeeze lemons. 2: I don't mince.. ANYTHING. If you follow my recipes you'll know that! and 3: the recipe called for 2 tbsp of chicken bouillon.. all I had were cubes.. so I had to guesstimate on how many to use. It turned out absolutely delish!

Chinese Lemon Chicken

Ingredients
For the chicken:
chicken
1/2 c cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4c water
4 eggs
3 c vegetable oil
For the lemon sauce:
1 1/2c water
1/2 c lemon
3 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp honey
5 chicken bouillon cubes
1/8 tsp ground ginger

-Pound chicken breasts
-Combine cornstarch (for the chicken), salt, pepper, add in lightly beaten eggs and water.
-Heat oil in a skillet
- Dip chicken in cornstarch mixture
-Add to heated skillet and cook until browned
-Cut into small serving portions
-Combine all sauce ingredients
-Heat until sauce thickens
-Serve chicken on a bed of rice
-Drizzle with sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment