The weekend before we left for Germany, Kevin, Rosalie, and I went for a walk. On our walk we came across an empty Italian home that had blackberry bushes growing wild out through the fence. We decided to pick some. We ended up picking A LOT lol. We knew we would never eat them in one day, so we decided to freeze them and I would make something yummy when we got back from Germany. I must say this Cobbler was ohhh soooo yummy. Kevin loved the cobbler part, but he decided he doesn't like the grittiness of blackberries. I'm going to try it again with a different berry, preferably blue. I have no doubt in my mind that this will taste delicious with any type of berry or fruit!
1/2c butter + 1/4c butter
1 1/2 c self rising flour. I DID NOT have this, so I substituted with 1 1/2c all purpose + 1/4 teas salt + 2 1/4teas baking powder = perfect.
1 c water
2 tbls sugar
4 cups of blackberries (cleaned)
- Melt 1/4c butter and pour into a baking pan. (i used a large corningware dish and it worked out perfectly. Unfortunately after the cobbler was all gone and i was washing it, I accidentally dropped it and broke it. danggggggg. Now what I am going to use for my cobbler?!??!?!) You aren't going to want a very large pan, but something some what deep.
- Set the buttery dish aside.
- Place flour (or flour combination as I had to make) in a bowl. Cut 1/2c butter in until fine crumbs. It is much easier to cut the butter in when it is softened. (don't you dare soften it with a the microwave! Let it soften naturally!!!)
- Add 1/3 c of milk
- In a small saucepan heat 2 tbls sugar and 1 c of water until sugar melts.
- Split your dough mixture in half. Lay half of it onto the butter pan and work it out til it touches the sides.
- Spread berries onto dough.
- Sprinkle berries with some cinnamon. (However much you like!)
- Place the other half dough on top of berries and cinnamon. Work it until it touches the sides. Be very careful not to smash your berries!
- Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
- Pour water and sugar mixture over the top. I know what you're thinking OMG this is a mess! It's going to look like a water logged mess, but trust me, it will bake beautifully!!!
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with sugar and return to oven for 15 more minutes or until nice and golden brown!
- Serve warm with icecream and or cool whip! When eating it after it has set, pop it in the microwave for about 15 secs.. PERFECT!